First steps with Microsoft 365
Microsoft 365 provides users with a range of web and cloud services. In addition users have access to the well known office-applications as browser-based or as installable software. Users have the advantage that the services can be used on different devices from any location. The flexibility of the services also increases because the services provided can be adapted to changing requirements virtually online.
In order to use Microsoft 365, you have to carry out a cloud subscription from Microsoft in the IT Shop (ITSM - https://itshop.ethz.ch).
You can find a detailed step-by-step instruction for the subscription => here.
Microsoft Teams - Two pager overview
In our Two Pager you will find the most important information about Microsoft Teams (click on the image to view or download the PDF).
Information regarding the installation of Microsoft 365
Please note that your IT support organization is responsible for the installation of Microsoft 365.
Installation on managed Windows 10 Clients
An installation package is available for users with a managed client. Contact your IT support manager. With the installation, the previous Office 2016 will be completely replaced. The installation takes about 45 minutes, although the download may take longer in the home office. Please plan the installation during off-peak times. Whenever possible, the installation should be carried out in the office; please make sure that you are connected to the LAN (and not connected via WLAN).
Please note that Microsoft Visio and Project are uninstalled during installation and that the installations have to be replaced with Office 365 products (the corresponding licenses have to be obtained).
Installation on managed mac-OS Clients
Office 365 can be installed independently via the existing «ETH Self Service Store» in Jamf. An existing Office 2016 installation will be removed.
Installation on non-managed Clients
For self-managed clients (Windows and Mac), the software can be downloaded and installed using the following link.
Log on to => http://www.office.com with your ETH username and click on the "Install Office" button in the top right. Follow the instructions.
The required installation files for Microsoft 365 can be downloaded and installed directly from the Mac App Store after registration.
=> Link to the Office-Bundle: https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/microsoft-office-365/id1450038993?mt=12)
Scope of Microsoft 365
What does Microsoft 365 include?
Depending on your profile (personnel category and employment relationship), while processing the cloud subscription, you will be assigned a Microsoft license with either options:
- M365 A5 for faculty staff
- M365 A5 for students
- M365 A1 for external (non-ETH members)
The Microsoft 365 subscription includes a number of products, including: Office apps, cloud services and security solutions.
As a user, you have access to the following office applications and cloud services:
- Webversion of Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Desktop-version of the office-applications on up to 5 PC's or Macs per user (only applicable for A5 licenses)
- Office-Apps on up to 5 tablets and 5 mobile phones per user
- Microsoft Teams, a digital hub for communication and collaboration (see also Chapter all about Microsoft Teams)
- Ability to create communication pages and team websites using SharePoint
- Stream, the corporate video service for securely creating, managing and sharing videos
- More apps for everyday needs in the work environment (see specific page for details)
- 1 TB of storage space per OneDrive for Business user
How can I check if I have already a subscription to Microsoft 365?
1. Call up the IT Shop (ITSM => Link https://itshop.ethz.ch). 2. Click on anonymous in the top right - then on Login 3. Log in with your ETH user name and your ETH password 4. Click on "My Products" in the left navigation 5. In the horizontal subnavigation click on "Identity and Access" 6. Now the entry "Microsoft Cloud Subscription" appears - if no entry appears for this area, it means that you have not yet carried out a subscription. 7. If you don't have a subscription yet, you can do so right away. Follow the instructions as mentioned in the chapter above.
Upgrade from A1 to A5 License
In case you wish to upgrade to an A5 license, you can do this on our IT Shop.
Proceed as follows:
- Call the IT Shop at https://itshop.ethz.ch/
- After you have logged in at the top right,
- select the option "Cloud Subscription" under the chapter "Identity and Access"
- Click on "Modify Microsoft Cloud Subscription"
- In the "Select Option" area click on the small arrow on the right
- and select "MS VirtualOffice - Standard"
- select "MS VirtualOffice - Standard"
- Click on "next step"
- You will now be asked to enter a SAP cost center or a PSP element
- Please also enter a reason, which will be shown to the approver
Dataprotection and Data storage
We take data protection and information security seriously. Applications for which the data are stored outside of Switzerland or the EU may only be activated after approval by the Executive Board.
Under => this link you will find detailed information where the various Microsoft 365 services store their data and about encryption.