Outlook Web Access
Your eth email can be accessed directly through a web browser.
- Go to mail.ethz.ch
- Enter your ETH username (not the e-mail address)
- Enter your ETH password for e-mail (Active Directory)
List of supported mail clients:
- Outlook for Windows (Outlook 2013 and higher)
- Outlook for Mac (Outlook 2011 and higher)
- Apple Mail
- Thunderbird for Mac and Windows (Thunderbird Version 45 and higher)
- Windows Mail (Windows 8.1 / Windows 10)
|Mailbox size||5 GB||1 GB|
|max. Mail size||20 MB||20 MB|
|Send limit per day||500 Mail/day||500 Mail/day|
Send on behalf
|Manage Mail Forward|
Self Service\Manage Forward
Self Service\Manage Forward
|Support for your Mailbox|
Servicedesk (Tel. 27777)
When the mailbox quota is reached, there are three different thresholds. The standard values for employees and students are as follows:
|Threshold||Employees (standard)||Students||Message to mailbox||Restricted functionality|
|IssueWarningQuota||4.5 GB (80% of the quota)||820 MB (80% of the quota)||Every night, a system-generated e-mail informs the user that the quota has been reached. This continues until the data volume falls below the quota or the next higher threshold is reached.||None|
|ProhibitSendQuota||5 GB (100% of the quota)||1 GB (100% of the quota)||Every night, a system-generated e-mail informs the user that the quota has been reached and that the mailbox functionality is restricted. This continues until the data volume falls below the quota or the next-higher threshold is reached.||The mailbox cannot send any e-mails until the data volume falls below the quota.|
|ProhibitSendReceiveQuota||7 GB (Quota plus 2 GB)||1.2 GB (Quota plus 200MB)||Every night, a system-generated e-mail informs the user that the quota has been reached and the mailbox is restricted. This continues until the data volume falls below the quota.||The mailbox cannot send or receive (!) any e-mails until the data volume falls below the quota.|
Quotas of more than 10 GB
As a matter of principle, quotas of more than 10 GB are not advisable if the mailbox is managed with an offline client. Offline clients download all e-mails from the server to the local computer.The advantage is that all mail data are available even if there is no connection to the mail server.The disadvantage is that most clients cannot reliably handle large local mailbox databases (< 10 GB) and/or perform poorly with such large databases. In the case of mailbox sizes of over 10 GB, it is advisable to use online mail clients only (e.g. web browser or Outlook in online mode).Please do not forget that the "Drafts", "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items" are also included in the quota calculation. Everything you save but have not yet sent in Outlook, Outlook Web Access and some other mail clients is stored in the "Drafts" folder. Most clients save a copy of your sent e-mails to the "Sent Items" folder.
|Protocol||Connection to Mailserver|
HTTPs (Outlook Web Access)
|IMAP||mail.ethz.ch (imap.ethz.ch); Port 993 (SSL)|
|POP||mail.ethz.ch (pop.ethz.ch); Port 995 (SSL)|
|SMTP||mail.ethz.ch (smtp.ethz.ch); 587 (TLS)|
Domain: d.ethz.ch (if needed)
mail.ethz.ch; Port 443
The mail organisation of the ETH Zurich's IT Services, employs two different systems to protect the mailboxes from harmful or junk e-mail: the mail filter (spam filter) and the mail virus scanner.
Both systems have a virus scanner, but differ fundamentally in terms of their function:
- The mail filter upstream of the mail server comprises several servers that check all incoming e-mails from external senders for spam, viruses, malware, phishing, ransomware, etc.
- The mail filter examines all elements of an e-mail. If one or several tests return positive results, the e-mail will be rejected. A detailed description of the mail filter is available here.
- All e-mails received from external senders must first traverse the mail filters before they reach the mail servers with the mailboxes.
- Various virus scanners are used on the e-mail virus scanner and the mail filter.
- The mail virus scanner screens all (!) incoming and outgoing e-mails (external and internal) on the mail server.
- The mail virus scanner only checks the attachment of an e-mail for viruses and its data type (extension) and is located directly on the servers containing the mailboxes.
Detailed configuration of the e-mail virus scanner
- Attachments containing viruses or Trojans are always deleted!
- Virus scanning also takes place within archive files (ZIP, RAR, ...). If a virus is found in an archive, the entire archive will be deleted.
- Mails or attachments larger than 20 MB are blocked.
- Archive restrictions (ZIP, RAR, ...) – the entire archive will be blocked if:
- The archive contains more than 5,000 files.
- The size of the unzipped files is larger than 150 MB.
- More than five nesting levels exist (archive in the archive in the archive ...).
- The unzipped content is more than 1,000 times larger than the actual archive.
- The following file types (extensions) are blocked:ade; adp; asx; bas; bat; bin; chm; class; cmd; com; cpl; crt; dll; elf; exe; hiv; hlp; hta; inf; ins; isp; js; jse; jtd; lnk; msc; msi; msp; mst; ocx; oft; ovl; pcd; pif; pl; plx; scr; sct; sh; shb; shs; sys; vb; vbe; vbs; vss; vst; vxd; wsc; wsf; wsh
- No attachments are blocked within an archive file. If an archive file contains a file with an extension to be blocked, the virus scanner will not touch the file.
- Encrypted and password-protected archives are admitted.
- All blocked attachments and e-mails are held in quarantine for 30 days. During this time, the e-mail with the original attachment can be requested anew from the Service Desk by means of a ticket. Thereafter, the files are deleted automatically.
- All actions of the virus scanners are communicated to the recipients and the internal senders.
- All attachments that are blocked or deleted due to a virus are replaced with a text file generated by the system. This file contains the name of the removed original file and the type (quarantine or deletion) and reason for the measure taken.
- All internal persons involved in the e-mail receive a separate e-mail with the subject "[Mail server notification]" from the system, which provides information on the measure taken and the mail servers involved in the measure.
Various instructions, tips & tricks
Check mailbox size
Mailbox and folder size can be checked on our website or the Microsoft Outlook client.
- Check mailbox size
- Folder and subfolder size can be checked with Outlook (for Windows):right click on a folder > properties > folder size
Mailbox clean up
Keep your mailbox slim and your client performant:
- Delete Spam, newsletter, advertising mails and old system messages.
- Save large attachments locally and delete the email.
- Clean up the sent objects
- Delete old calendar items
Emails which are older than 30 days, read and not in the folder “Deleted Items” can be deleted. These emails will still be available on your mail archive.