New : Use of the e-mail/mailbox service at ETH Zurich.
The ETH Zurich mailbox is intended for business communication. While the use of your mailbox for private purposes is generally permitted, it is not recommended. You can find these and other rules and regulations here:
Outlook Web Access (OWA)
Your eth email can be accessed directly through a web browser.
- Go to mail.ethz.ch
- Enter your ETH username (not the e-mail addresswith @ethz.ch at the end (for example email@example.com)
- Enter your ETH password for e-mail (Active Directory)
Limits / Thresholds
|max. Mail size
|Sending limit / 24 h
|500 Mails / 24 h
|500 Mails / 24 h
Send on behalf
|Manage Mail Forward
Self Service\Manage Forward
Self Service\Manage Forward
|Support for your Mailbox
Servicedesk (Tel. 27777)
We recommend not to enter more than100 recipients per e-mail.
Temporary increase of the sending limit
A temporary adjustment of the sending limit can be requested via the Service Desk.
When the mailbox quota is reached, there are three different thresholds. The standard values for employees and students are as follows:
|Message to mailbox
|4.5 GB (80% of the quota)
|820 MB (80% of the quota)
|Every night, a system-generated e-mail informs the user that the quota has been reached. This continues until the data volume falls below the quota or the next higher threshold is reached.
|5 GB (100% of the quota)
|1 GB (100% of the quota)
|Every night, a system-generated e-mail informs the user that the quota has been reached and that the mailbox functionality is restricted. This continues until the data volume falls below the quota or the next-higher threshold is reached.
|The mailbox cannot send any e-mails until the data volume falls below the quota.
|7 GB (Quota plus 2 GB)
|1.2 GB (Quota plus 200MB)
|Every night, a system-generated e-mail informs the user that the quota has been reached and the mailbox is restricted. This continues until the data volume falls below the quota.
|The mailbox cannot send or receive (!) any e-mails until the data volume falls below the quota.
For mailboxes larger than 10 GB, the various quota values are no longer assigned automatically but on an individual basis after consultation with the mail admins and communicated to the mailbox owner accordingly.
List of supported mail clients:
- Outlook for Windows (Outlook 2013 and higher)
- Outlook for Mac (Outlook 2011 and higher)
- Apple Mail
- Thunderbird for Mac and Windows (Thunderbird Version 45 and higher)
- Windows Mail (Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 and higher)
Please note that we can only consider client versions from this list which are generally supported by the manufacturers and also in interaction with our mail server. We also reserve the right to exclude mail clients from contact with the mail server infrastructure that have massive security gaps, place an excessive load on the mail infrastructure, or do not comply with the guidelines of the Usage Regulations for Telematics at ETH Zurich (BOT).
To forward all incoming emails on your ETH account to another address, you can define a forward on https://www.password.ethz.ch. To do this, click on "Self-Service" and then "Manage forward". There you can enter the e-mail address to which you want to forward in the "Recipient" field. Attention: If you do not activate the option "Save and forward e-mails:", the e-mails will be forwarded without being saved in the ETH mailbox.
Connection endpoints of mail protocols
|Connection to Mailserver
mail.ethz.ch (smtp.ethz.ch); 587 (STARTTLS)
mail.ethz.ch (imap.ethz.ch); Port 993 (SSL/TLS)
Domain: d.ethz.ch (only if necessary)
|mail.ethz.ch; Port 443
Mailbox – terms and rules
Physical storage space for e-mails. Your e-mails are stored here.
Refers to associated mailbox. An e-mail addressed with your e-mail address arrives in your mailbox. This is the official e-mail address which is published and normally appears as sender address in your own e-mails.
The part of the address after the @.
Name section of an e-mail address
The part of the address before the @.
- An e-mail address must be unambiguous worldwide. This also applies to e-mail addresses in the domain ethz.ch and means that the name section <name> must be unambiguous vis-àvis all ethz.ch addresses.
- This name area also includes the ETH usernames, i.e. the name section may not be the same as an existing ETH username unless it is your own.
- E-mail addresses in the form familyname@*.ethz.ch lead to problems, particularly inside a big organisational unit.
- In view of these considerations, the following rules apply to <name>
- Only lower case letters without umlauts, numbers and hyphens are allowed. Periods in particular are not allowed.
- Valid examples are: dmeier, meier15, da-me
- The length must be at least three characters, maximum 30 characters.
- Not allowed: dm
- Your own and other family names are not allowed.
- Not allowed: meier, mueller, kuebler
- ETH usernames apart from your own are not allowed.
Validity duration of the e-mail addresses
The responsible ETH organisational unit determines the validity duration of the e-mail addresses.
Alternative e-mail address which likewise refers to the associated mailbox. An e-mail which is addressed to your e-mail address with an alias also reaches your e-mailbox.
- Aliases are frequently used for functions: assistenz@domain, vorsteher@domain etc. In the domain inst.dept.ethz.ch there is only one “Assistenz” or “Vorsteher” respectively. This is naturally no longer the case in the domain ethz.ch and must be taken into consideration in the case of the corresponding aliases, e.g. with the following names: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aliases as alternative ways of writing your own name are actually unnecessary with the above rules for the name section, since it can be selected in a way that no uncertainty arises regarding the way it is written: Daniel Meyer à email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Most mail programmes present the so-called “display name” as sender (and not the e-mail name). The display name can be chosen freely and normally includes the full name and if necessary the company or organisational unit of the sender. The display names accordingly do not have to be unambiguous, e.g. “Meier, Daniel (ID).”
- Other addresses as aliases from another domain hosted by us are desirable for the availability of old addresses.
- Due to the above considerations and on account of the limited possibilities for automatic control, the following rules arise for the name section of aliases:
- aliases (in the ethz.ch domain) have to be at least 10 characters long.
- The same rules apply to the name section of the e-mail address for aliases (as for <name>, see above).
- Aliases in other domains (e.g. for old e-mail addresses) are possible without the two restrictions above).
- No more than a total of eight aliases in total may be used. This applies in general to the number of aliases on our server.
- Please note In total, precisely one e-mail address per mailbox (e-mail or alias) may be shorter than ten characters. Hence alternatively a shorter alias can be selected in place of the e-mail address. The same considerations and rules apply to distribution lists as to aliases.
An e-mail address which is configured for one mailbox and refers to another mailbox. An e-mail which reaches your mailbox via your (main) e-mail address or an alias is forwarded to the mailbox to which the forward address refers.
The name displayed In addition to the e-mail address. Most mail programmes show this display name instead of or together with the sender address. The display name has the format LASTNAME FIRSTNAME for all personal mailboxes.
Person Daniela Meier, Dept. Supervisor D-ABCD
E-mail address: email@example.com
name section of the e-mail address: danielam
domain: ethz.ch display name: Meier Daniela
aliases: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, ...
Daniela Meier's e-mail address is email@example.com. The associated mailbox is on the server of the information services. She is the supervisor of the department ABCD. As supervisor, she also wishes to be available with the addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. These two addresses are aliases. Before ABCD department switched to the ethz.ch addresses, her address was firstname.lastname@example.org. She also uses this address as alias. The department supervisor changes after two years.
Daniela Meier deletes the corresponding aliases before entering the new department supervisor Peter Müller with the email address email@example.com in her place. Daniela Meier receives an offer at MIT and leaves the ETH. Her new e-mail address is now firstname.lastname@example.org. Since she provided various publications with her e-mail address email@example.com, she would like to divert all mails to this address to the new MIT address. As soon as the MIT address is online, she places a forward to the MIT address on her ETH mailbox.
Various instructions, tips & tricks
|Content by Label